Application Instructions

*Please note: you must live in Greater Nashua to be eligible for assistance.*

1. Complete the form that begins on the bottom of this page. It will take between 20 – 35 minutes.

2. Click here to upload ALL required documentation (listed below). This link will bring you to the Front Door Agency’s secure file upload software.

Required Documentation:

– Picture ID

– Social Security Card or Birth Certificate for EVERY member of the household

-Proof of ALL household income and expenses for every member of the household

– Notice of Decision from city/town welfare department dated within the last 30 days

– Eviction Notice or Demand For Rent

– Or Shut off notice from the utility company

– Copy of most current lease

– Copy of most current bank statements

If you are applying for assistance because of the CoVid-19 pandemic, you are also required to submit the following documents:

– Proof that you have applied for unemployment

– Proof that you will be asked to return to work when it is safe to do so

– Paystubs from February, March and April showing the reduction in hours and pay

– Saving account information

3. Once your online application and all supporting documentation has been received, one of our Housing Advocates will contact you to schedule a phone interview. If you have any questions, please contact Doug Howard, Housing Stability Program Manager, at (603) 816-0294. 

Application for Housing & Utility Assistance

Step 1 of 16

  • Household Overview

  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY