Frequently Asked Questions

What are the rooms like? How much space will I have?
In the Stabilize Phase, you will have 2 bedrooms (each approx. 12×12) connected by a half bath. The rooms have a bed, dresser, and closet, and may have a crib, playpen, rocker – depending on needs. Some also have a desk.
Can I bring my own furniture?
Not typically, although there are exceptions. You can discuss this with one of our case managers.
Do I have to share the bathroom?
You will have your own half bath – sink and toilet. Each floor has a larger bathroom including a shower and tub which are shared.
I don’t have a car. How will I get to school/work/daycare?
We are within walking distance to many places and there is a bus stop at our building.
Are meals provided?
Meals are not provided. You are responsible for buying and preparing your food.
Will I have to pay rent?

Yes. Rent in the Stabilize Phase is $390/month including all utilities. Rent in the Transform Phase is $400 for a 2-bedroom and $425 for a 3-bedroom and utilities become your responsibility. The Flourish Phase is typically for those who are close to graduating from the program and rents charged at this level vary depending on income but are closer to market rates.

How long until I can move to the Transform Phase?
Transitioning to the Transform Phase depends on several things, including but not limited to the progress made in the Stabilize Phase, availability of apartments, and your ability to maintain a budget and afford the rent and utilities. As a general guideline, a typical stay in the Stabilize Phase is 3 – 9 months.
Do you provide childcare?
We do not provide childcare, but will assist you in finding it. We work closely with Early Head Start, Head Start, and the Adult Learning Center. Childcare IS provided for our weekly self-improvement group meetings.
What schools would my children attend?
The elementary school closest to the Norwell Home is Mount Pleasant Elementary. The middle school is Pennichuck Middle School. The elementary school for children in apartments varies, depending on which apartment you move into.
Is there a curfew?
Yes. Those in the Stabilize Phase have curfews set up to help families provide needed structure for children. Curfew on weeknights is 7 p.m. Curfew on weekends is 10 p.m. Exceptions are made for job and school schedules. In addition, you are eligible for overnights on weekends.
I work evenings. How do I manage curfew?
There is an extended curfew for women who work, but never later than 10 p.m. on week nights and 11 p.m. on weekends. Specific schedule issues can be discussed with case managers.
Can my boyfriend visit me?
No, men are not permitted on the premises without authorization by a case manager. Authorization is typically granted to immediate family members, or a resident child’s father, for a 30 minute period.
I work evenings. Who will watch my children?
Childcare during evenings is the responsibility of the parent. Daycare facilities operate during the day. It is very difficult to find evening childcare.
I’m on SSI. I can’t work. Am I still eligible?
Self-sufficiency is the goal of transitional housing. If a person on SSI can meet program requirements, and is willing to move toward self-sufficiency, they may be considered.
I’m pregnant, with no income. Am I eligible?
The program does have a rent requirement, therefore, typically income is required. However, in some cases savings or programs have been able to help provide rental income until the birth of the child at which time you may become eligible for TANF.
If I work full time, how do I do something educationally?
The program’s ultimate goal is higher education. However, there are various levels of education one can pursue. For example, if your company offers training sessions, those could count toward educational requirements. Online courses, financial literacy courses, may also be counted towards meeting the educational component of the program as long as they assist you in moving towards independence.
Are there lots of rules?
The program is a structured program with guidelines that help to create a sense of stability to a family and a sense of order to the house. A resident handbook containing all policies and procedures is given to women who enter the program. Each policy and procedure is made with the best interest of all residents in mind in ultimately helping to reach independence!
I need medication-assisted treatment daily. Am I eligible?
We do consider applicants who need medication-assisted treatment. Each case is evaluated individually to determine if our program is the right fit. To meet eligibility requirements, each resident must have completed a treatment program and be substance free for at least 6 months prior to entry into the program.
I’m in recovery. Do you help with that?
This program is typically a great next step for women with a substance use disorder who have successfully completed a treatment program and have been abstinent for six months or longer. Transformational housing case managers are here to provide referrals, direction and support in your recovery efforts.
There’s a restraining order on my ex. Will I be safe there?
We strive to keep all our residents safe. Our Norwell building (Stabilize Phase) is fully secured and equipped with locks and security systems. There is also a staff person on duty 24/7. It should be noted, however, the facility is not an undisclosed location and may not be appropriate for someone actively fleeing domestic violence. Bridges is the local domestic violence resource that can help with domestic violence issues.
If I want to stay out overnight, can I?
Overnights are permitted after a probationary period and if program guidelines are being met. A full description can be found in the policies and procedures manual.
Can I bring my pet?
Pets are not allowed.
How long can I stay?
The program is designed in three Phases. Typically the Stabilize Phase is 3 – 9 months and you can stay up to 2 years in the Transform Phase. The Flourish Phase may be available and offers one-year lease terms that are renewed up to 5 years